This easy “red, white, & blue” punch bowl dessert is perfect for that last minute what-do-I-bring-to-the-BBQ-dessert that everyone will love. Every year my family would host a big 4th of July party. All our friends and neighbors would come to watch my father set off fireworks choreographed to the patriotic music of his choice. We had sparklers, poppers (also known as bang snaps), and red, white & blue themed foods. My favorite was my mom’s punch bowl dessert because I always got to help make it. This year I get to share this family tradition at my own 4th of July function with my own twist on it.
The Red, White, and Blue Punch Bowl Dessert
(the amounts depend on how many you are making it for)
- Vanilla Pudding (the box it fine)
- Cool Whip
- Angel Food Cake (pre-made, homemade, or from a box)
- Clear Plastic Cups (or one big clear bowl)
1. First follow directions to make Vanilla Pudding and Angel Food Cake
(If making these yourself)
2. Next, slice all fruit and keep separate. Blueberries and Raspberries may remain whole
3. Break apart Angel Food Cake into evenly sized pieces. If you’re using a large bowl, cut your angel food cake into ice cube sized pieces. If you’re using smaller cups like me cut them into marble sized pieces.
Layering (Photos Below)
4. Lay out all ingredients and begin to layer
5. Begin with Angel Food Cake pieces covering the bottom
6. Add a layer of vanilla pudding
7. Next layer with fruit of your choice. I usually start with the Strawberries. When layering with fruit, do not use all the fruit in one layer. Save some for the very top.
8. Then layer with Cool Whip. Make sure to keep layers small if using small cups
9. Repeat the layers but change the fruit. I like to have my blueberries in the middle. Fruits may be combined in layers as long as Red, White & Blue is visible. Take a look at the combination of bananas and blueberries below.
10. Finish with a final layer of Cool Whip. Add remaining fruit to the top and you can finish with a fun patriotic decoration!
I hope this 4th of July themed punch bowl dessert recipe will help with any last minute search for what to bring to a potluck or to your own party. This punch bowl dessert has served my family well for many years and I hope your family and friends will love it just as much as I do!
Leave a comment below. We would love to hear about how your Punch Bowl Dessert turned out!